Integrated Water Resources Management programme Benin
Witteveen+Bos supported the Dutch Embassy in Benin to formulate a new WASH and IWRM programme for the period 2017-2021. The programme includes sector development for WASH and IWRM, infrastructure development and development of capacities and behaviour of individuals.
The programme had five components which have strong interconnections:
- Development of the WASH sector
- Development of a delta plan (for surroundings of Cotonou) and a multi-sector approach (with emphasis on water and socio-economic developments)
- Technical assistance for above developments
- Fund Manager for NGO and Private sector initiatives in the field of WASH and IWRM
- Financial and programme support to other donors in the field of WASH and IWRM.
A framework (theory of change) was developed for the overall programme, with an overview of policy relevance, objectives, indicators, activities and results/outcomes. For each component, guiding principles for implementation of good governance, reorganisation needs and capacity building activities, inclusion of youth, and promotion of gender quality were defined.