- Dynamic start-up team
- Cooperation with international top-experts
Transport engineer walking and cycling
Do you want to play an active role in building a greener future by promoting active travel design solutions?
You will be joining our team as a walking and cycling engineer to assist in a broad range of tasks from background transport data analysis to walking/cycling/public realm scheme design. A passion for walking and cycling is essential in this job, as is the ability to think critically and seek innovative solutions on how to upgrade UK roads into more integrated place-transport environments. You responsibilities will include contributing to feasibility studies, reports and presentations, network capacity analysis, route alignment, dimensioning, high level costing and tenders. You will also actively contribute through community engagement and technical stakeholder engagement involving all aspects of inclusive walking and cycling infrastructure design.
Examples of projects we work on are the York Castle Gateway Development Masterplan (https://www.york.gov.uk/CastleGatewayMasterplan), the Inverness City Active Travel Network (http://www.witteveenbos.nl/upload/filemanager/ICATN_Funding_Bid_Executive_Summary.pdf) and the Portsmouth London Road Walking & Cycling Inspiration Study (https://issuu.com/witteveenbos/docs/portsmouth_cycling_uk). Internationally, our experts work on a series of regional super cycle highways (12 km), junction enhancements for innovative cycle roads in the Netherlands, as well as cycle highways in Bogota, Columbia and Singapore. This job is based in London or Bristol.
Witteveen+Bos UK Ltd is a specialist resilient infrastructure unit and part of the over 1,100 person strong Dutch engineering consultancy Witteveen+Bos. Our UK team focus is walking, cycling and air pollution. We are passionate about simple, robust transport standards which lay foundations for safe walking and cycling for everybody. Taking an integrated approach, we aim to help local communities capitalise on the socio-economic benefits of combining greater transport efficiency with placemaking. The work at Witteveen+Bos UK Ltd team strikes a balance between the all-hands-on-deck opportunities of being a start-up team, while at the same time being part of a highly reputable and established Dutch engineering consultancy.
What we ask
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Traffic Engineering, or equivalent;
- Membership of a professional body or working towards it (ICE, CIHT, CILT);
- Experience in design of walking and cycling infrastructure with interfaces to public realm or public transport;
- Experience in production of technical drawings up to RIBA Stage 3 or equivalent (with AutoCAD);
- Critical thinking, complex problem solving, innovation, ability to challenge conventional transport practices;
- Knowledge of transport modelling software - e.g. AutoTrack, KeyAccident, KeySign, Revit, Arcady / Linsig / Vissim / Paramics / Legion / MassMotion / Commuter etc;
- Good understanding and application of highway regulations and guidance such as Manual for Streets, DMRB, TSRGD, MCHW and Traffic Signs Manuals, as well as cycle design standards such as the CROW Design Manual, Cycle By Design, London Cycling Design Standards etc;
- Understanding of urban design principles and a holistic approach to highway design with a focus on more sustainable transport modes and integrated design.
What we offer
- an attractive career path aimed at personal development and growth;
- variety, versatility and room for entrepreneurship in our start-up team;
- cooperation with (international) top-experts on walking, cycling and public realm infrastructure;
- workplace pension and health care scheme;
- one annual trip to the Netherlands;
- possibility of becoming a shareholder of the company.
Who we are
Witteveen+Bos is an international consultancy and engineering firm offering solutions to complex engineering and social issues in the fields of water, infrastructure, the environment and construction. We aim to work on a high-end, international engineering level. Our staff of more than 1100 employees work in multidisciplinary project teams on fascinating projects all over the world. Our work requires high level expertise and an eye for quality. We therefore consider personal and professional development essential to the success of our company and we facilitate this development. We also offer abundant room for personal initiative and entrepreneurship
If you are interested in this job, please send in your application online. For further information about this vacancy you can contact Mrs. Jess Read, telephone number 07718 646 883, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Martijn Akkerman, telephone number 07718 646 882. Vacancy number NL00176.
No agencies please.