Geothermal energy as a sustainable energy source
Geothermal energy is a never-ending, emission-free source of energy. That makes it an appealing and sustainable alternative to fossil fuels for heating buildings and factories.
Generating geothermal energy
Witteveen+Bos helps companies and governments to generate and use geothermal energy. We do this from the first conceptual analysis through to the engineering of above-ground installations. Our geo-energy team provides advice (inter)nationally on all forms of geothermal energy, such as thermal storage, high-temperature storage, and geothermal energy from shallow to deep and ultra-deep. We can also provide support for SDE++ requests, both on the assessment and the request side. We assess how much heat and cold can be extracted from the ground and stored, and how much heat and cold is needed over the course of the year.
Broad knowledge of the entire chain
At Witteveen+Bos, we investigate all possible forms of geothermal energy from an independent, conscientious and integrated perspective. We contribute along the entire chain: from exploration to decommissioning. Our extensive technical knowledge of geology, geophysics, geohydrology, seismicity, engineering, and water treatment – and our experience in preparing business cases and risk analyses – enable us to effectively examine the technical and financial feasibility of projects. Our expertise in above-ground heat transfer, distribution infrastructure, and end-user applications (for example, in steam systems) is also a big advantage.
Collaborating is in our DNA
Our knowledge and skills are not limited to technology. We are experts in creating support and tailoring designs to the needs of the local community. One of the ways we achieve this is by creating participation platforms for stakeholders. Involving stakeholders in the process is crucial, especially when drilling underground.
At Witteveen+Bos, we always design according to our sustainable design principles. This means, for example, that we make use of the natural processes already occurring in the ground, and that we commit to using the geothermal energy source as efficiently as possible in combination with, for example, heat pumps and other sources – such as industrial waste heat. In this way, we are contributing to a sustainable future.
- Geological potential investigation
- Technical and financial feasibility study
- Impact and risk analyses (including HAZID and HAZOP)
- Requests for permits (e.g. exploration licence), insurance (RNES) and subsidies (SDE++)
- Drafting of tender and contract documents
- Design of above-ground installations
- Engagement and stakeholder management
- Environmental impact assessments (EIA) and all-in-one permits (omgevingsvergunningen)[JH4]
- Creation of closure plan
- Drafting of heating plan or heating transition vision
- Integration of geothermal energy into heat/energy infrastructure
- Market, policy and technology analyses
- Vision or strategy development (e.g. framework or roadmap)
- Facilitation of interdisciplinary and cross-sector collaboration
- Stakeholder management
Want to know more about geothermal energy? We would be happy to answer your questions!