Jaap van der Graaf Award
On 10 January 2014 the Jaap van der Graaf Award will be awarded for the fifth time. This prize will be awarded to the student or researcher who wrote the best article in English in 2013 about waste water treatment and performed his/her research at one of the Dutch universities, research institutes, waterboards or consultancies. The prize, which is awarded annually, consists of a cheque of EUR 5,000 and a glass trophy.
From 1989 to 2009 Jaap van der Graaf was Professor of Waste water treatment at the Faculty of Civil Engineering at Delft University of Technology, and from 1988 to 2003 he was General Manager of Witteveen+Bos Consulting engineers. In honour of his retirement as a professor Witteveen+Bos has established the Jaap van der Graaf Award. The aim is to give a higher profile to Dutch expertise in the field of waste water treatment. The monetary prize is intended for use within this framework, for example a study trip abroad or promotional activities.
Submitted articles should comply with the following conditions:
- the subject is related to the collection or treatment of waste water
- the author should be a student at a Dutch university or employed in professional practice in the Netherlands
- the article in English must be published in a peer reviewed journal in 2013
- the subject must have practical applicability
Participation is open to authors of all nationalities.
An independent jury decides on the prize winner. The jury members are:
- Professor J.B. van Lier, TU Delft/Unesco-IHE (chair)
- A. de Man, Waterschapsbedrijf Limburg
- Dr J. Roorda, Evides
- Dr A.F. van Nieuwenhuijzen, Witteveen+Bos
- Dr H. Temmink, WUR/Wetsus
The award will be presented during the 66th Drinking Water and Waste water Symposium (‘Vakantiecursus’) in Delft, which is organised by the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the TU in Delft.
Articles can be submitted by contacting the jury secretary: Dr. M.K. de Kreuk (TU Delft, firstname.lastname@example.org). The latest date for submission is 18 November 2013.